Hybrid Framework Setup Task
Ionic is the recommended platform this quarter. Ionic is recommended because it builds single-page apps that can be tested in web browsers, and has better support for automated testing.
If a team wishes to use Appgyver Supersonic, they should contact me first to explain why.
Once the team has selected their framework, either Ionic or Supersonic, the basic steps are the same.
- Each team member individually installs the necessary software on their machine, and
verifies it works using a simple "hello world" level program.
- Works means you can both simulate the app on your development machine, and deploy it to your personal smartphone.
- Note that you may need to purchase a cable to connect your device to your development machine that supports data transfer. Many cables only support charging.
- The team, together, creates a slightly more complex shared sample app.
- One team member should create a project and push it to your team Github 394 repository.
- Every other member of the team should clone the repo, and make and deploy visible changes to it.
- Every team member should be able to run the app on both their development machine and personal device.
- When all this is done, every team member enters their setup data report on the framework setup report spreadsheet. The link is on the Canvas assignment page.
This task should take just an hour or so, but may take longer if there are network or permissions issues. Get help from your teammates!
Post problems and solutions to Piazza. Always include what OS you're working on.
Details for Ionic Users
For setting up your personal machine, use the barebones myApp on the Getting Started page.
Be sure to check my list of Ionic 2 tips and pitfalls.
Details for Supersonic Users
Note: Supersonic here refers to any of tools variously referred to as Steroids, AppXGyver, Supersonic and so on.
Supersonic's tutorials don't include a click-and-go "hello world" app. Everyone should should set up their individual machines by following the tutorial instructions. Do the First and Second Mile.
For the team app, use the same sample app as a base, but now have one team member create a project for it in your team Github 394 repository. Then everyone else clones and makes changes to this code, that everyone else can get and see on their devices.
When team members get the project from the repository, they will need to add the Supersonic modules locally. They are not pushed and saved to github for obvious space-saving reasons.
git clone https://github.com/team-name/project-name.git ... cd project-name ... steroids login ... steroids update
Be sure to check my list of Supersonic tips and pitfalls. This file has not been updated in 2 years, so it may contain out of date information. Steroids setup commands change over time. Post corrections and tips to Piazza.