The Meta programming environment
Last update: Thursday, March 18, 3:20pm
This is an alpha-test version of the Meta development environment.
In principle, Meta will run on any Windows machine running Windows 98 or
- You must have the Microsoft .NET system installed. At this point,
pretty much every machine should have it installed anyway. If your
computer is less than 2 years or and/or you're running Internet Explorer 5
or later and/or you're running a recent version of Microsoft Office, you
should have it already. If not, you can download it
- You also want to have Windows Media Player installed, at least, if you
want to use Meta to manipulate MIDI streams.
- Speed: I've developed the system on a 1.5GHz laptop, so it should run
fine on any desktop machine made in the last 4 years. It really ought
to run okay on any laptop faster than 300MHz or so, but I haven't tried.
If it runs slow, use the "Speed up editor" option in the "Advanced" menu to
turn off some of the bells and whistles.
- Memory: My machine has 512MB or RAM, but I'm typically running 1-3 other
programming environments at the same time I'm running Meta without having
any performance problems, so that suggests that 128MB ought to be
It is very likely that if you download the Meta installer
(right click the link and choose Save Target As). Then double-click the
file to install Meta.
- However, if it doesn't let you open it from its current location and
when you save it to disk and click on it, it won't run it, then you probably
don't have the Microsoft Installer software installed on you machine.
In that case, download the full installer,
extract the files from it, and click the Setup icon.
- If you don't have a copy of WinZip on your machine, you may not be able
to extract the files from the full installer. In that case, manually
copy each file over from this directory. And
then run Setup.
- If you manage to run the installer, but it complains that you don't have
the .NET runtime, let me know and I'll find it for you.
- If anything else goes wrong, write down the error message it produces
and send me email with the error
message and the step of the process you were in when it generated the error
message. I'll see what I can do.
Having installed, it you can run Meta by choosing Meta from the Northwestern
University directory in the Start menu or by clicking on a file that has Meta
code in it.
Should go to email@example.com.
Why the cat?
I needed something for an icon. It was there. His name is Puck.
He is an mischievous imp.