I am always looking for strong students interested in pursuing graduate degrees in networked systems (distributed systems, networking, wired and mobile systems).
Estoy siempre buscando buena gente interesada en estudios de posgrado en sistemas distribuidos y redes.
Some thoughts on the need to identify and collect meaningful metrics on Broadband availability; it appeared as a "Note from the editors" in IEEE Internet Computing, Sep-Oct 2013.
I was invited to the Dagsthul Seminar on Global Measurement Framework.
I have been invited to the External Advisory Board of mPlane, an honor to be part of such a great team!
I have been awarded the title of Adjunct Associate Professor at Trinity College Dublin.
These two are always news - Luca is already eight and Sofia just turned four.
The principle of science, the definition, almost, is the following: The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of scientific 'truth'. But what is the source of knowledge? Where do the laws that are to be tested come from? Experiment, itself, helps to produce these laws, in the sense that it gives us hints. But also needed is imagination to create from these hints the great generalizations to guess at the wonderful, simple, but very strange patterns beneath them all, and then to experiment to check again whether we have made the right guess.- Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
My interests span several areas of experimental systems, in particular distributed systems, networking and operating systems. My primary area of research involves the design, deployment and evaluation of large-scale distributed systems in both wide-area and mobile networks.
- No 'one-size fits all': Towards a principled approach
for incentives in mobile crowdsourcing,
John Rula, Vishnu Navda, Fabiaacute;an E. Bustamante, Ranjita Bhagwan and Saikat Guha. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile),February 2014
- Dasu: Pushing Experiments to the Internet's
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof, David R. Choffnes, Fabiaacute;n E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy and Walter Willinger. In Proc. of USENIX NSDI, April 2013
broadband characterization at home,
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof and Fabiaacute;n E. Bustamante. In Proc. of Passive and Active Measurement Conference (PAM), March 2013
Content Delivery and the Natural Evolution of DNS,
John S. Otto, Mario A. Sánchez, John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2012.
Up, Down and Around the Stack: ISP Characterization From
Network Intensive Applications,
Zach Bischof, John Otto and Fabiáan E. Bustamante. In Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Measurement Up and down the STuck (W-MUST), August 2012.
Selected for publication in the SIGCOMM CCR issue dedicated to the SIGCOMM proceedings.
(Soft) Control: Moving Beyond Opportunistic
John Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of the Thirteenth Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile), February 2012.
- (Complete list of publications)
I lead the AquaLab research group; you can look there from more information and group's publications.
Distributed Systems in Challenging Environments: A seminar
reviewing cool ideas and ongoing projects that are pushing
distributed systems into new and challenging domains.
Spring '08 | Winter '11 | Spring '13 | Spring '14
Internet Systems Experimentation: A seminar exploring the
challenges with measurement and evaluation of large
Distributed Systems: An introduction to distributed
Winter '04 | Winter '05 | Winter '08 | Winter '10 | Winter '13 | Winter '14
Operating Systems: An overview of fundamental operating
Fall '02 | Fall '03 | Fall '04 | Fall '05 | Fall '06 | Fall '07 | Fall '08 | Fall '09 | Fall '10 | Fall '11 | Fall '12 | Fall '13
Introduction to Computer Systems: This course provides a
programmer's view of how computer systems execute programs,
store information, and communicate.
Spring '07 | Spring '10 | Spring '11 | Spring '12
Selected Professional Activities
- EuroSys 2014
- ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2013
- IEEE P2P 2013.
- CoNEXT 2013
- IEEE P2P 2013
- Networking 2013
- ICNP 2013
- ICDCS 2013
Past: ACM SIGCOMM 2012 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2012 | IEEE ICNP 2012 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Measurements Up and Down the STack (W-MUST) 2012 | ACM/USENIX IMC 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Home Networks (HomeNets) 2011 ... (A complete list can be found in my CV)
Other Professional Service
- General Co-Chair for SIGCOMM 2014
- Steering Committee for IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing
- TPC Co-chair for IEEE P2P 2012.
- Editorial board of IEEE Internet Computing
- Editorial board of SIGCOMM CCR
- Local Arrangements Chair, IMC 09
- Chair/Organizer, HotAC 09
- General Chair, HotWeb 08
- Local Arrangements Chair, ICAC 08
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Universtiy Transportation Center - a leading interdisciplinary education and research institution dedicated, since 1954, to the long-term improvement of domestic and international systems for the movements of materials, people, energy, and information.
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Institute for Sustainable Practices - NiSP promotes interdisciplinary education and research into economically, environmentally, and socially sound policies and practices that will help secure the earth's natural resources for use now and far into the future.
- AGEP Professor - Midwest Crossroads AGEP (Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate) - a partnership of Northwestern, Indiana and Purdue University to increase minority participation in graduate studies and academia.
(A complete list can be found in my CV)
- I'm originally from Patagonia, Argentina ...
- Jeanine and I run long distance (marathons, half-marathons, 10 and 5K). For a few years, I have trained with a program that closely follows those described by Pfitzinger and Douglas in Advanced marathoning. I tried this Furman's FIRST marathon plan, but have gone back to the old approach -- long quality miles using the Hanson's Brothers' plan.
- Luca waiting for the ferry in Inis Meain (Aran Islands, Ireland).
- Pretty little thing - Sofia is now around!
- Astor Piazzolla - my favorite musician and one of his best-ever compositions, Adios Nonino.
- I played Lock/2nd Row for the Chenque Rugby Club, between 1984 and 1993. Many good friends and family still play for the club or for the veteran rugby team Los Alacranes.
- Los Pumas' passion - a great video of the toughest guys in the IRB.
- Academically (genealogy) ...
Fabián E. Bustamante (email fabian)
EECS Department, Northwestern University
Technological Institute, L477 ( Getting there)
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL USA 60208
(847) 491-2745 | (847) 467-4144 (Fax)
Assistant: Patrick Hickey (email Patrick)