Introduction to Networking
This page will contain useful material related to the project assignments and recitations.
1. Introduction to sockets (download ppt)
2. Introduction to Project 1 (download ppt)
A good tutorial on socket programming
Recitation 2 , Jan 14, 2004:
1. Introduction to Unix System
2. Using Emacs
3. Using gcc and make
Recitation 3, Jan 21, 2004:
1. Advanced Sockets (download ppt )
2. Homework 1 Questions: Circuit Switching and Packet Switching, Transmission Delay concepts, Web caching etc.
Multi-person Chat server code ( c file ) ( doc file , color formatted )
The TCP Project
The Minet Technical Report
RFC 793 (in convenient HTML format), RFC 1122
A very useful summary and picture of the TCP State diagram
TCP, UDP and IP pocket guide includes header details
Brief overview of TCP contains a nice summary of the essentials
Here is a page with nice TCP animations. They explain TCP connection startup, termination, data flow and flow control and cumulative ack concepts. Please see animations 20_1 to 20_5.
A Brief C++ reference includes a good STL reference
Quick Introduction to C++ skips C part and covers C++ features like templates and virtual functions