The Web Search Stupidity Search
To find a class of queries that current search engines, e.g.,
Altavista, currently don't handle well. We want to do this so we can
answer the AI question.
What to do:
- Formulate a real query for a real goal. That
means, a real question asked for a real reason. We discussed what
real means in class. Get notes! The query should be a
reasonable set of keys, not something you can guess wouldn't work.
Phrase the query as a you normally do, either as a question or as
a set of keys.
- Submit the query to a search engine. Use any decent engine.
Altavista is fine, but this is up to you.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until failure occurs. Failure here means
- You can find one or more pages with an answer to your
- Those pages are not in the top 5 or so hits as ranked by
the search engine.
What to hand in:
A typed description on paper -- not email! The paper should
describe, in this order:
- your query, exactly as you entered it
- why you asked it and what kind of answer you were looking for
- what search engine or engines you used
- what pages the engine returned as its top hits -- describe the
- what page(s) had the actual answer
- (optional) what query you should have used that would retrieve
that page -- test your hypothesis
Comments? Send mail to