The principle of science, the definition, almost, is the following: The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of scientific 'truth'. But what is the source of knowledge? Where do the laws that are to be tested come from? Experiment, itself, helps to produce these laws, in the sense that it gives us hints. But also needed is imagination to create from these hints the great generalizations to guess at the wonderful, simple, but very strange patterns beneath them all, and then to experiment to check again whether we have made the right guess.- Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
I am interested in large-scale, longitudinal experimental research on networks and distributed systems.
- I am always looking for strong students interested in pursuing graduate degrees in networked systems (distributed systems, networking, wired and mobile systems). | Estoy siempre buscando buena gente interesada en estudios de posgrado en sistemas distribuidos y redes.
- Our new work on Wi-Fly gets quite a bit of media attention; a nice article in the Chicago Tribune.
- I gave a keynote at the mPlane Closing Workshop in Haidelberg, Germany.
- A great NSF/FCC workshop on tracking quality of experience in the Internet!
- Our first research piece on Cuba's Internet at IMC 2015!
- An op-ed in Pacific Standard on Cuban Internet connectivity
- My op-ed on Forbes on the right to affordable broadband
- Our SIGCOMM Worshop proposal was approved; Bala, Walter and I will be running the first Workshop on Crowdsourcing and crowdsharing of Big (Internet) Data (C2B(I)D. A fantastic PC should translate into a fantastic program!
These two are always news - Luca (10) and Sofia (6) last November.
- eXploring XFinity: A First Look at Provider-Enabled Community Networks,
Dipendra Jha, John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of PAM, March 2016.
- When IPs Fly - A Case for Redefining Airline Communication,
John P. Rula, Fabián E. Bustamante and David R. Choffnes. In Proc. of HotMobile, Februrary 2016
- In and Out of Cuba: Characterizing Cuba's Connectivity,
Zachary S. Bischof, John P. Rula, Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of IMC 2015, October 2015.
- Experiment Coordiantion for Lare-Scale Measurement Platforms,
Mario A. Sáchez, Fabián E. Bustamante, Balachander Krishnamurthy and Walter Willinger. In Proc. of SIGCOMM C2B(I)D Workshop. August 2015.
- Second Chance - Understanding diversity in broadband access network performance, John P. Rula, Zachary S. Bischof and Fabián E. Bustamante.
In Proc. of SIGCOMM C2B(I)D Workshop. August 2015.
AD(D): Estimating Mobile App Session Times for Better
John P. Rula, Byungjin Jun and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of HotMobile, February 2015.
- Crowdsensing Under (Soft) Control,
John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. In Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, April//May 2015.
of heterogeneity and socio-economic factors on individual
behavior in decentralized sharing
A. Gavalda-Miralles, David Choffnes, John Otto, Mario Sanchez, Fabián E. Bustamante, Luis A. N. Amaral, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera. Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, September 2014.
behavior and change: File sharers and copyright
Arnau Gavalda-Miralles, John S. Otto, Fabián E. Bustamante, Luis A. N. Amaral, Jordi Duch and Roger Guimera. In Proc. of ACM CoNEXT, December 2014.
Measurement Experiemntation Platform at the Internet's
Mario A. Sánchez, John S. Otto, Zachary S. Bischof, David R. Choffnes, Fabián E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy and Walter Willinger. Accepted for publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), July 2014
Inter-Domain Traffic Estimation for the Outsider,
Mario A. Sánchez, Fabián E. Bustamante, Blachander Krishnamurthy, Walter Willinger, Georgios Smaragdakis and Jeffrey Erman. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
Want, or Can Afford - Broadband Markets and the Behavior of
Zachary S. Bischof, Fabián E. Bustamante and Rade Stanojevic. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
Runner-up for Best Paper Award
the Curtain - Cellular DNS and Content Replica
John P. Rula and Fabián E. Bustamante. To appear in Proc. of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2014
No 'one-size fits all': Towards a principled approach for
incentives in mobile crowdsourcing,
John Rula, Vishnu Navda, Fabián E. Bustamante, Ranjita Bhagwan and Saikat Guha. In Proc. of the ACM Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile),February 2014
I lead the AquaLab research group; you can look there from more information and group's publications.
- FALL 2015
Operating Systems: An overview of fundamental operating
- WINTER 2016
EECS-395/495 Internet-scale Experimentation: A seminar exploring the challenges of large-scale networked systems experimentation and measurements
- SPRING 2016
EECS-345 Distributed Systems: An introduction to distributed systems
Selected Professional Activities
Past: CoNEXT 2015 | IMC 2015 | EuroSys 2014 | ICDCS 2014 | IEEE P2P 2014 | CoNEXT 2013 | Networking 2013 | ICDCS 2013 | ACM SIGCOMM 2012 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2013 | IEEE ICNP 2013 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Measurements Up and Down the STack (W-MUST) 2012 | ACM/USENIX IMC 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Poster/Demos 2011 | ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Home Networks (HomeNets) 2011 ... (A complete list can be found in my CV)
Other Professional Service
- Co-organizer of the first NSF/FCC Workshop on Tracking Quality of Experience in the Internet, held in Princeton in October 2015
- Co-founder/organizer of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Crowdsourcing and crowdsharing of Big (Internet) Data (C2B(I)D)
- General Co-Chair for SIGCOMM 2014
- Editorial board of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
- Steering Committee for IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing
- Editorial board of IEEE Internet Computing
- Editorial board of SIGCOMM CCR
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems - founded in 2004 with the goals of uncovering fundamental principles governing complex systems in science, technology, and human behavior and applying these principles to solve societally relevant problems through the analysis, design, and control of complex systems.
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Universtiy Transportation Center - a leading interdisciplinary education and research institution dedicated, since 1954, to the long-term improvement of domestic and international systems for the movements of materials, people, energy, and information.
- Affiliated Faculty - Northwestern Institute for Sustainable Practices - NiSP promotes interdisciplinary education and research into economically, environmentally, and socially sound policies and practices that will help secure the earth's natural resources for use now and far into the future.
- AGEP Professor - Midwest Crossroads AGEP (Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate) - a partnership of Northwestern, Indiana and Purdue University to increase minority participation in graduate studies and academia.
- I'm originally from Patagonia, Argentina ...
- Jeanine and I run long distance (marathons, half-marathons, 10 and 5K). For a few years, I have trained with a program that closely follows those described by Pfitzinger and Douglas in Advanced marathoning. I tried this Furman's FIRST marathon plan, but have gone back to the old approach -- long quality miles using the Hanson's Brothers' plan.
- Luca waiting for the ferry in Inis Meain (Aran Islands, Ireland).
- Pretty little thing Sofia, 1-month old, someplace in Portugal
- Astor Piazzolla - my favorite musician and one of his best-ever compositions, Adios Nonino.
- I played Lock/2nd Row for the Chenque Rugby Club, between 1984 and 1993. Many good friends and family still play for the club or for the veteran rugby team Los Alacranes.
- Los Pumas' passion - a great video of the toughest guys in the IRB.
- Academically (genealogy) ...
Fabián E. Bustamante (email fabian)
EECS Department, Northwestern University
Technological Institute, L477 ( Getting there)
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL USA 60208
(847) 491-2745 | (847) 467-4144 (Fax)
Assistant: Patrick Hickey (email Patrick)